Wondering how to install and use Mac-only apps on a Windows 10 PC? You have come to the right place to know the answer. There are barely any ways to use Mac apps on Windows, but there is a method which will enable you to run Mac apps.
This method is not a very easy and straightforward but will work once you understand the whole procedure. So without wasting any time, let’s get started.
Step 1: Install and Setup Virtual Machine
This is the best way to use Mac apps on a Windows computer. It requires a bit of technical knowledge, but we’ll help you in that regard.
Files required to create a MacOS Virtual Machine in Windows 10:
- Download the “VirtualBox”(latest version).
- A copy of “macOS”(Download most recent version)
After successfully downloading required files, extract them in different folders. In the Mojave Image folder, you will find a VMDK file, which means Virtual Machine Disk Format. This file is containing macOS operating system.
How to Make macOS Virtual Machine in Windows 10?
- Open the VirtualBox folder and then locate and launch the VirtualBox file.
- Select “New” and then type macOS. The software will detect the OS when you type and then select the macOS 10.13 High Sierra.
- Set the RAM to 4GB (Your Computer must have at least 6 GB of RAM to run the Mac OS).
- Set hard drive (use existing virtual hard disk file).
- Then select the folder icon to browse and then select the VMDK file.
- Hit the Create button.
Setting up the macOS Virtual Machine
Before you start using macOS on the Windows 10, you need to tweak the settings of Virtual Machine. To begin editing the settings, see the guide below.
- Right click on macOS Virtual Machine and select settings.
- On the left-hand side menu, hit the system tab.
- Then uncheck the Floppy located under Boot Order.
- In the Chipset, select the ICH9 option.
- Now click on a processor located at the top menu.
- In the processor, slider, assign two units.
- Check the Enable PAE/NX box.
- Under “Display” settings, set the Video Memory slider to 128MB.
- Now under “Storage” settings, make sure that box labeled with Use Host I/O Cache is checked.
- Hit ok, and your settings will be saved.
Open Command Prompt and To Tweak Your PC
Your PC isn’t ready to run Virtual Box due to lack in the configuration. We will use the Command Prompt to configure your PC. macOS VMDK requires patching of the Virtual Box to function flawlessly. To do this, you need to enter some codes in Command Prompt. It is pretty easy, follow the below steps carefully:
- Close all applications and programs on your PC (It is important to close all program on your PC otherwise this action can be futile).
- Hit the Start key and type CMD.
- Right click on the CMD and choose Run as administrator.
- Now type “C:\Programs files\Oracle\VirtualBox\” and hit enter.
- Below are some commands that you need to type in CMD. Replace the “macos” with the name of your virtual machine, which is located in the quotes. After every command hit enter:
- VBoxManage.exe modifyvm “macos” – -cpuidset 00000001 000106e5 00100800 0098e3fd bfebfbff
- VBoxManage setextradata “macos” “VBoxInternal/Devices/efi/0/Config/DmiSystemProduct” “iMac11,3”
- VBoxManage setextradata “macos” “VBoxInternal/Devices/efi/0/Config/DmiSysteVersion” “1.0”
- VBoxManage setextradata “macos” “vBoxInternal/Devices/efi/0/Config/DmiBoardProduct” “Iloveapple”
- VBoxManage setextradata “macos” “VBoxInternal/Devices?smc/0/Config/DeviceKey “”ourhardworkbythesewordsguardedpleasedontsteal(c)AppleComputerinc”
- VBoxManage setextradata “macos” “VBoxInternal/Devices/smc/0/Config/GetKeyFromRealSMC” 1
If any command fails, then enter it again and make sure you type accurately. When you have done every command successfully, then close the command prompt.
Start Your macOS Mojave Virtual Machine
Now open the VirtualBox and then double click the macOS virtual machine to start your macOS on Windows 10. You can now see a long stream of random text, and then a grey screen will appear after that. This grey screen can take on up to two minutes go away, so don’t panic and don’t press any key. After two minutes later you will finally see a “Welcome” screen. Now you can set your macOS Mojave virtual machine to the full screen.
Now the macOS is successfully installed and is working perfectly. Move ahead and install the Mac apps on windows.
Step 2: Sign into Your Apple Account
Now you can see that every process and experience is similar to a real Mac. To access the App Store, you first need to log into the Apple account. Apple requires an account to install an app from the Apple App Store.
Step 3: Download First Mac App on Windows 10
As now you have the authority to install and use any Mac app on your Windows PC. You can download any apps from the App Store. Open the App Store from the bottom icons. If the system asks for the Apple account information, then enter again.
Now browse for the app which you want to download. Click on the Get button then Install.
Open your macOS app on your Windows 10 PC and enjoy the Mac app on Windows.
How To Save MacOS Virtual Machine Session and shut down safely?
Randomly closing the virtual machine can cause your virtual disk to get corrupted and your Mac apps and other work can also be affected. Follow the below guide to save the Virtual machine session safely:
- Click on the Apple logo in the top-right corner.
- Click on shutdown.
Now you can see operating system will shut down the macOS correctly.
How to save your current state in Virtual machine?
Any activity you do inside your macOS will not be saved automatically. You will need to do that manually every time before closing it.
You will need to take a snapshot which will save your current progress on the virtual macOS.
A snapshot will allow you to restore the progress of your work that you left before quitting it. After taking a snapshot, you can shut the macOS as well as your PC.
Wrapping It Up
A small mistake in the whole process can fail the entire process. Now we know how to use the Mac apps on your Windows 10. You can save a lot of money by using this method. You are not limited to using only apps. You can almost do everything possible in a macOS.
Lucia Mandela is a Microsoft Office expert and has been working in the technical industry since 2002. As a technical expert, Lucia has written technical blogs, manuals, white papers, and reviews for many websites such as office.com/setup.