Now, you can share your Surface screen wirelessly with Microsoft wireless display adapter. Stream anything that on your screen to a second display. Just connect your Surface to the wireless display adapter and watch movies, shows, or photos on a big screen. With the Microsoft display adapter, you can easily connect your Surface device to any compatible display. If you have a Microsoft Wireless Display Adapter but didn’t know how to use it, the here is the procedure to connect your Surface to a projector or monitor with Microsoft Wireless Display Adapter.
Connect the Wireless Display Adapter to the second screen
The first thing you have to do is correct connections. Make sure to plug the adapter properly into the right port of the second screen. Check the below guide to connect the Microsoft wireless display adapter correctly.
• Wireless display adapter requires power for running, so plug in it to the USB charging port.
• It’s best if the device you’re connecting the adapter with has both a USB charging port as well as an HDMI port.
• In case the device does not have a USB charging port, then you can use the USB charging port of your Surface laptop, Surface docking station, or any USB charger. Connect the USB end of the wireless adapter to any one of these.
• Update your Windows version before you try using the display adapter on your Surface. Your Surface laptop should be running on Windows 8.1 or Windows 10 to use the Microsoft Wireless Display Adapter.
Download the Microsoft Wireless Display Adapter app
Connections have been set up correctly, now move to your Surface laptop and download the Microsoft Wireless Display Adapter app from the Microsoft Store.
1. Open ‘Start.’
2. Click on ‘All Apps.’
3. Find and select ‘Microsoft Store.’
4. Type ‘Microsoft wireless display adapter’ into the search box.
5. Select the ‘ Microsoft Wireless Display Adapter’ app.
6. Then select ‘Free.’
The app will start downloading and install automatically.
Connect Surface to the Wireless Display Adapter
Finally, use these steps to connect your Surface laptop to a projector, monitor, or HDTV with Microsoft Wireless Display Adapter.
1. Take the adapter.
2. Insert the HDMI side of the adapter to the HDMI port of the second screen (projector, monitor, or HDTV).
3. Now, insert the USB side of the adapter to the USB charging port of the second screen (projector, monitor, or HDTV).
4. Turn on your second screen, and set the HDMI input. Make sure you’ve selected the input for the right HDMI port.
5. Now, move back to your Surface laptop.
6. Tap on the ‘Action Center’ button in the taskbar. You can also open the menu by swiping in from the right side of the display.
7. Tap ‘Connect’.
8. Select your Microsoft Wireless Display Adapter from the displays list.
You’re successfully connected. The device you have connected your Surface with works as the second display. Now, display your presentation at work wirelessly on the projector, watch your favorite movie, or show your trip album on a big screen.
For preventing someone from connecting to your adapter:
Anyone can connect their device to your adapter and use it without your permission if you haven’t change the pairing options. Microsoft Wireless Display Adapter allows changing of pairing mode to the PIN code. You can set the pairing mode to ‘Requires PIN code to pair’ to prevent unauthorized connecting.
1. Open ‘Start.’
2. Click on ‘All Apps.’
3. Select ‘Microsoft Wireless Display Adapter.’
4. Choose ‘Requires PIN code to pair,’ under “Pairing mode.”
Next time when a new device is trying to connect to the adapter, a code will display on the second screen. You need to enter that PIN on your Surface in Microsoft Wireless Adapter app to allow pairing.
Lucia Mandela is a Microsoft Office expert and has been working in the technical industry since 2002. As a technical expert, Lucia has written technical blogs, manuals, white papers, and reviews for many websites such as office.com/setup.