This AutoRun feature is usually enabled by default in most of the Windows versions which letting the programs to easily perform from an peripheral device when it connected to any of the computer system. The reason behind it is that the malware can utilize the AutoRun feature and transfer all its adverse payload from that peripheral device to the computer system, and it’s a reason many users select it to turned it off.
Furthermore, AutoPlay is one of the best Windows feature and it is a component of AutoRun. This feature will allows the users to play song, display pictures, and videos. Alternatively, AutoRun has a wider settings which manages the actions to easily get whenever CD/Drive or USB drive is added into the drive on your computer system. Underneath are some steps which help you in disabling the AutoRun and AutoPlay feature on Windows 10 devices. But before going with the steps, we suggest you to follow the instructions in the same sequence as given below. Doing in the same manner as mentioned will save lots of time and efforts. The steps are discussed below:
Steps to Turning Off AutoRun Feature in Windows 10
Although there is no any interface settings which completely disable the AutoRun feature. On the other hand, you may need to change the Windows registry of your Windows 10 devices. Here how to do it:
- Type ‘regedit’ in the search box appears on the screen.
- After that, choose ‘regedit.exe’ to launch the Windows ‘Registry Editor.’
- Now, navigate to the following key: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer
- Unfortunately, if the ‘NoDriveTypeAutoRun’ entry does not shows on the screen, you need to create a new DWORD value just by pressing the right side button in the right hand side panel to easily control the context menu also choosing ‘New DWORD (32-bit) Value’ from the given list on the screen.
- Now, provide a name to the ‘DWORD NoDriveTypeAutoRun’ and also put its value from the following:
- 20 – To turn off the AutoRun feature on CD-ROM drives
- FF – In order to turn off AutoRun on all drives.
- 8 – To turn off AutoRun on preset drives.
- 4 – To turn off AutoRun on removable devices.
- 40 – To turn off AutoRun on RAM disks.
- 10 – To turn off AutoRun on network drives.
- 1 – To turn off AutoRun on unknown devices.
Whenever users want to enable the AutoRun feature on their Windows 10 devices, they just need to remove or delete the ‘NoDriveTypeAutoRun’ value from their device and their AutoRun features successfully enabled on their Windows 10 devices.
Steps to Turning Off AutoPlay in Windows
Well, turning of the AutoPlay feature from Windows devices is much easier than disabling the AutoRun features. However, AutoPlay is a part of AutoRun, but still users can be easily turning off by following few simple steps in the accurate order. The steps are mentioned below:
For Windows 10
- Click on the ‘Settings’ icon to open settings.
- After that, tap on ‘Devices’ option.
- Now, choose ‘AutoPlay’ located on the left side of the menu bar.
- Toggle the tab ‘Use AutoPlay for all devices and media tab to the Off mode.
For Windows 8
- Click on the ‘Control Panel’ to open it.
- Choose ‘AutoPlay’ option appears in the ‘Control Panel’ entries.
- Now, choose the option which you wish from the list of ‘Choose what happens when you insert each type of media or device’ section. For instances, one can opt some different options for videos and pictures.
- In order to completely turn off the AutoPlay feature, you have unselect the ‘Use AutoPlay for all device and media’ check box.
Lucia Mandela is a Microsoft Office expert and has been working in the technical industry since 2002. As a technical expert, Lucia has written technical blogs, manuals, white papers, and reviews for many websites such as office.com/setup.
Source: Windows 10